Friday, March 23, 2012

Work

So I never really realized how much of a pink fan I am until I came into work this morning and was given the official "wolfpack" gang cup. I was given pink. When I filled my glass and then sat down at my desk, that's when I saw it... PINK! Believe me, that wasn't my intention. :P
I like pink!... But I didn't think I was obsessed with it!
Thankfully, in the apartment, I've not overwhelmed either of us with pink. I actually think blues, greens, and browns dominate. Very earthy, beachy colors.

Speaking of apartment, we're moving in tomorrow! :) YEAY!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I'm so excited!!! Gonna freak out like 5 minutes til we get the key. ;) Thank you in advanced to everyone who helps us this weekend.

Back to work: Today one of my many bosses (LOL!) has been training me since the other bosses are out of town for the rest of the week. Yesterday I made my first trip to LA for the company to measure out signage. I like this! I was worried that the idea of me going to LA was going to be anxiety ridden like it used to be for my other job. Oddly enough, it wasn't. I got there, did my thing, and came back down to San Diego county. Quick, painless (well other than the $5.00 and 1/4 tank of gas), and easy. I stopped and had lunch with my sexy Marine - he's checking out of the Corps right now so I knew he wouldn't be doing guard duty. I love that man, have I said that yet? ;) I really do. He's amazing. :D *sigh*

Anyway, today my boss told me I failed at being a gatekeeper. WHA?! ME!? FAIL!!!?? F-A-I-L?! Me. Marie!? NO!!!!!!!! A customer did the old switcher-oo on what they were really calling for so a call got sent to the wrong person. So I got brought into the office and we talked about how I could do it better.
Instead of just asking for name, company, and who they're calling for I need to be prodding for more information. If they say accounts receivable I need to ask if its a contracted account. If it is, I send it to the person I had earlier. If it's not or they don't know, I can handle it (apparently) if they're just doing a bill. If it's any other questions on the account, I'm not really sure how to help.
Being a secr..-cough-..administrative assistant is new to me. I've been a teacher, office manager, retail sales, sales executive, and graphic designer, but never an admin assistant. I need training. I've kinda been off on my own little thing trying to do as best I can. Now I need more training. My boss acknowledged that I'd not had much training in that job description because as of late they've had me doing a heck of a lot more graphic design stuff. The only admin stuff I was doing was answering phones and getting and sending out mail. Occasionally I'd have a contract faxed or signed, but not often. So he promised to take on the roll of training me to be an ace admin. I'm happy someone is going to help me! I don't - NEVER have and NEVER will - like the word "fail". Makes me mad to think that I'd failed.
I've been reading blogs/articles all day about how to be a great admin/executive assistant that he sent me. There was one article that really hit me. It was about communication...

There are basically four different social styles in which we communicate. Each style gives and receives information differently. If you can identify your boss’ style (as well as your own), we can begin improving the communication process between you.

1. Analytical

2. Driver

3. Amiable

4. Expressive

Drivers are business-like and want the facts. They want you to get straight to the point. are very decisive and can be impatient and demanding. Drivers want power, control and authority. Their primary focus is on results. To effectively communicate with a driver, be clear, specific, brief and to the point in a business-like manner. Have all of your supporting material, be well organized and present your information logically and efficiently. When presenting facts and figures, give the probability of success and offer options. Avoid rambling conversations and non-essential information. In other words, don’t waste their time or try to build a personal relationship (save that for the Amiable). Don’t bring a disorganized presentation or leave issues open ended. Remember, get to the point, be efficient and thorough, and give them options.

Analyticals need data, data and more data. The more information you provide them, the better.. They are very detail oriented, good at problem solving and organizing and tend to be very thorough and will take their time coming to decisions. Their primary focus is on details. To effectively communicate with an analytical, indicate that you have done your homework and extensive research when possible. Be straightforward, direct and stick to your plan. Detail the positives and negatives to any suggestions that you make and make it known that you are available to see the project through and understanding their desire to be thorough. Avoid being disorganized, messy, too casual, informal or loud. Never rush an analytical! Always follow through and never appear vague. Just the analytical all the facts and details and allow them time to think it over and make a decision.

Expressives see the big picture and are not interested in details and are risk-takers. They are loud, personable, enthusiastic, love color and tend to be flamboyant and emotional. They seek recognition and visibility. They are primarily right brainers whose primary focus is on creativity. To effectively communicate with an expressive, show interaction that supports their dreams and intentions and your intent to formalize the details of their treatment. Draw out their creativity, opinions and ideas. Avoid being curt, cold or autocratic and never leave decisions hanging in the air with an expressive. Also, don’t be impersonal, judgmental, task-oriented and never talk down to them or appear dogmatic. Expressive are people oriented and will not respond to condescending behavior..

Amiables are warm, friendly, dependable, dedicated and cooperative. They are good listeners, team oriented and very sensitive. They want low risk with guarantees and avoid making decisions. Their primary focus is on satisfaction and proven results for the others. To effectively communicate with an amiable, show your concern for them as a person from the outset and find areas of common ground. Be candid, open, patient and show an interest in their personal goals. Maintain a nonthreatening manner and a casual, informal demeanor Amiables are not risk takers! Assure them that risks will be minimized and provide them with benefits, personal assurances and clear, specific solutions with maximum guarantees.

After reviewing each style, do your best to figure out which one describes your boss and which one describes you. Then, communicate to your boss in his or her style. That is the key. You must identify the other person’s style and deliver information to them in their own style to maximize the communication experience for both of you. Give it a try. It really does work, even in your personal life.

I discovered that I had been communicating to my husband all wrong. I would call him at work and ask him what I thought was a simple question: “Paul would you like to go to Florida or the Bahamas for vacation?” Paul is an analytical and I am an expressive so he would get flustered and rush me off the phone saying “I don’t know, I can’t think right now, talk to me later.” Can you identify what I did wrong? As an analytical, I did not give him enough information; there weren’t enough details for him to make a decision. So now, let me show you the right way that actually worked quite well.

“Paul, would you like to go to Florida or the Bahamas next July? American Airlines has a sale for $199 round trip and we can stay at the XYZ resort. We can put it all on Mastercard and pay it off in three months.”

BINGO!! That’s the way to give information to an analytical.

I like it! As I read over this, I've realized that this little section would solve a million issues on communication I'm currently having with my boss who's having me do design things. I am a very analytical communicator. Now I want to research more about communication!

No comments:

Post a Comment